Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content




Looking to get your insurance license...great! Big I CT is here to help.

Steps to Obtain Your Producers License:

  1. Complete the education requirements
  2. Pass the licensing exam
  3. Complete the licensing application

The State of Connecticut requires that all individuals writing insurance business in Connecticut be licensed.  A single producer license with authority for Property & Casualty is required for individuals writing P&C business; a Life & Health license is required for individuals writing L&H business.



40 hours of pre-licensing education is required for each line of authority.  For example, 40 hours for property and 40 hours for casualty (80 hours total for a Property & Casualty license).  Upon completion of the pre-licensing requirements, a certificate of completion is issued to the licensing candidate.  The certificate of completion must be obtained prior to sitting for the state's licensing exam.

Big I CT is an approved provider of pre-licensing classes for Property & Casualty, Personal Lines only, and Life & Health.  Classes are held in our Wethersfield classroom and are designed to help both members and non-members pass the State exam for the first time.  Also, a Property & Casualty or Personal Lines only Homestudy Program is available.  See the class options on the right.


Licensing candidates are required to pass a 150 multiple choice examination, with a score of 70% or better. The examinations are administered by Prometric and are offered in exam centers at the following locations: 

  • Glastonbury, CT
  • New Haven, CT
  • Norwalk, CT


Licensing candidates are required to complete the appropriate licensing application on the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) and pay the related application fee.

Questions concerning this process can be directed to:

  1. The Connecticut Insurance Department at 860-297-3849 or
  2. Or by contacting our office by phone 860-563-1950 or email
    Rose Mullaly, Education Administrator 

Your Education Options

There are two ways to fulfill your education requirements: in a classroom; or at home.  While we can help with both, it's important to know that in-person classes result in much higher licensing exam passing rates.  You're investing a lot of time and energy, so we recommend registering for a classroom session.
Our Education Department is here for you.

Rose Mullaly, Education Administrator
Phone:  860-563-1950